Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Running and Ankle Pain

I'm having trouble running more than about a kilometer. My ankle starts hurting and then running gets very painful. I can walk for miles, but moving faster (even a slow jog) brings up ankle pain. I've been averse to running on it, because it seems to me that it's just a good way to cause further injury.

The last time I went running a changed up my gate a bit and tried to place where exactly the pain was coming from. I think the pain I'm having is because my ankles are weak. That is, that they're not strong enough to handle the stress of running. I think the solution for weak ankles is to run more -- that is, I should be running through the pain.

Do I keep running or not? The safest thing to do would be to consult a sports physician. I don't want to pay for that right now, so I'm stuck trying to self-diagnose.

I'm still losing weight. If my ankle problems are related to the stress of propelling all that excess mass, then this is a problem that will resolve itself as I burn off fat. Eventually. Yet I still want to get out on the trails....

Aggravating, but at least I can walk pain-free, and I'm happy for that. Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to continue trying to run through the pain, and see what happens. Plus, I'm going to try to find some way to work out my feet, ankles, and lower legs in the gym, so that I can build up some strength other than being on the road.

1 comment:

  1. Thyroid bovine supplements are a safe way to help improve the body's system. As with any therapy, you should always check with your health care provider before taking such supplements

    ReplyDelete